The 16 Days of Action Against Domestic Abuse Campaign commences on 25 November each year, running through to 10 December. The Campaign spans across these 16 days as there are poignant events that take place within the specific time period, including International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women which is on day one as well as Human Rights Day which is on day 16 of the campaign.
First Light will be supporting this year’s campaign, and our main aim is to raise awareness about domestic abuse across the South West, with a focus that it does not affect a specific age, gender, ethnicity or sexuality.
At First Light we provide Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Support for All.
Throughout the 16 Days our website and Social Media Accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn will be filled with posts featuring information about where to access help and support, links to webinars to widen your knowledge about domestic abuse, case studies and so much more.
At First Light, we deliver the Safer Futures service which was launched in July 2018 as the commissioned support service for victims of domestic abuse and sexual violence in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. We deliver the service in partnership with Barnardo’s, and it is funded by Safer Cornwall.
Across the 16 Days you will be able to get to know specific First Light staff members that support individuals affected by domestic abuse – including our Domestic Abuse Support Advisors, members of our Helpline Response Team, our Volunteer Mentors and much more.
- Monday 29th November 2021 – 10:30am – 12pm: Faith and VAWG Coalition’s ‘Building Bridges’ conference – .For more information and to register for your tickets, click here.
- Tuesday 30th November 2021 – 2:30pm – 4:30pm: Bystander Webinar – Graham Goulden. Unlimited attendees – Please email [email protected] to register your interest and you will be sent details of the meeting sign in (Zoom).
- Wednesday 1st December 2021 – 1pm – 4pm: “Best Practice in Working with Child Survivors of Domestic Abuse”. For more information and to register click here.
- Thursday 2nd December 2021 – 1:30pm – 4:30pm: Did you know that animals are often used by perpetrators to coerce and control human victim-survivors of domestic abuse? To join members of Refuge4Pets, Cats Protection Paws Protect, Dogs Trust Freedom Project, and Endeavour all offer specialist animal fostering services to people fleeing domestic abuse at a webinar sign up here.
- Friday 3rd December 2021 – 1:30pm – 2:30pm: The Us Too Team – ARC webinar. The Us Too team is a group of women with learning disabilities, autism or both all of whom have experienced domestic abuse/sexual violence. The team used their experiences to develop and deliver training packages for their peers, social care professionals and DA/SV services. In this webinar the team will discuss how the project came about, the training and resources they have developed, and premiere the project video. Join here.
- Wednesday 8th December 2021 – 10am – 11:30am: “Introduction to Gender-Based Violence for Schools”. For more information and to register click here.
- Friday 10th December 2021 – 10:30am: Alexis Wright Webinar. Click here to join.
You can also support Safer Cornwall’s 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Based Violence Campaign.
Their programme of events includes online webinars around ending femicide, domestic abuse and the workplace, the launch of our Tackling Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence (DASV) champions network, and training on how to be an ‘active bystander’ and keep people safe from abuse. Please find the links to Safer Cornwall’s webinars below.
Day 1 – Thurs 25 Nov, 2pm – Ending Femicide (online) https://bit.ly/end-femicide
Day 2 – Fri 26 Nov, 11am – ‘Active Bystander’ training for pub and bar staff Falmouth (Mango’s Falmouth) https://bit.ly/bystander-fal21
Day 6 – Tues 30 Nov, 2pm – Info Session: Launch of Cornwall DASV Champions Network https://bit.ly/DASVCs
Day 7 – Weds 1 Dec, 12-3.30pm – Falmouth Town Safer Streets / VAWG Pop-up Event (The Moor, Falmouth) no booking necessary
Day 9 – Fri 3 Dec, 2pm – Domestic Abuse and the workplace – are we doing enough to support colleagues working from home? https://bit.ly/DAworkplace
Day 13 – Tues 7 Dec, 11am – ‘Active Bystander’ training for Falmouth pub and bar staff (Mango’s Falmouth) https://bit.ly/bystander-fal21
Day 16 – Fri 10 Dec, 2pm – VAWG around the world https://bit.ly/VAWG-world
Thurs 16 Dec, 2pm – Don’t be a bystander, Building Moral Rebels with Graham Goulden, Cultivating Minds UK- https://bit.ly/moral-rebels
Please keep an eye our Social Media accounts across the 16 Days and always, as the pages are always kept up to date with the latest information, updates on news stories across the United Kingdom, First Light Job Vacancies and so much more.
Please share our content with your friends and families if you feel comfortable doing so, spread the word and help us with our vision to create a place where we live in safety free from Sexual Violence and Domestic Abuse.