Help someone you care about

If you’re a relative, friend or professional, you may be concerned about someone who has either told you they have been abused, or you suspect abuse. 

You may feel confused and powerless about what to do.  Understanding and working through your own feelings will help you support them.  If you suspect a child or vulnerable adult has been abused, you must report it to either the Police or Children Social Care or Adult Social Care.  The Police have specially trained officers who will contact you.

You can support someone by:

  • Believe them
  • Listening to them and not asking for details. They may not want to tell you everything that happened
  • Don’t ask why the violence or abuse happened
  • Respect their decision regarding to report the violence or abuse.  It is their decision to make
  • Be patient and don’t tell them to forget all about what has happened or to put it the past
  • Allow them to demonstrate their feelings by crying if that is what they need to do, even if their crying might upset you

Please look through this site to get more information about how to support someone else.  You can make an Online Referral to us, or contact our most Appropriate Service during office hours.